Hi, I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with my first baby and have purchased a cradle instead of a bassinet. Is this a safe option to use a cradle? Or should I purchase a bassinet? I am yet to get a mattress for the cradle, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Alyce
Red Nose recommends sleeping baby in a cot that meets the mandatory Australian Standards. There are no mandatory standards for bassinets or cradles in Australia, however Product Safety does have some guidelines for bassinets & cradles.
See some of the specific information about rocking cradles here:
• Make sure the cradle has a permanent child-resistant lock that stops the cradle from rocking when the baby is unattended.
• Rocking cradles should have a tilt limiter to limit the angle of tilt to no more than 10 degrees from the cradle’s horizontal position.
• Please read the other instructions in relation to rocking cradles: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/products/babies-kids/kids-furniture/rocking-cradles
• Ensure that all mattresses are firm, clean, well-fitting & flat.
• For bassinets & cradles the mattress should be no thicker than 75mm.